- 1 Background:
- 2 History:
- 3 Technical:
- 4 Specifications:
- 5 Production Numbers:
- 6 References:
- 7 External Links
In 1977, Dodge revived the Diplomat name from the 50s as a compact/intermediate to go up against the Ford Granada and Mercury Monarch. The Diplomat's platform was the M Body, which was a modified version of the newly released [F Body]] used by the Volare and Aspen. Chrysler that same year introduced the LeBaron as Diplomat's sophisticated sister. The Diplomat survived in Coupe form through 1981, and the sedan lasted through the 1989 model.
- In Canada this car would also be available as the Plymouth Caravelle
- In Mexico this car would be the Dart
- In Columbia this car would be the Coronet
- Chrysler LeBaron 1977-81. There was styling change for 1980.
- Plymouth Grand Fury 1982-1989 was Plymouth's version of the 4-Dr Diplomat in the U.S.
- Chrysler 5th Ave 1982-1989 was Chrysler's Upscale 4-Dr on the M Body
- Plymouth Caravelle was sold only in Canada, 1978-89, and was Plymouth's version of the Diplomat in Canada, succeeding the Fury. There was a styling change for 1980.
- Chevrolet Chevelle
- Ford Granada
- Mercury Monarch
- Pontiac Grand Prix
- Oldsmobile Cutlass
- Buick Regal
- 2-Door Coupe
- 4-Door Sedan
- 4-Door Wagon
1977 - 1979 Diplomat
- 225 CI Slant Six (1 or 2 bbl)
- 318 2bbl V-8
- 318 4bbl V-8 (added in '78, last year '86)
- 360 2bbl V-8
- 360 4bbl V-8
- 3-speed A727 automatic (In some of the 360ci Diplomats)
- 3-speed A904 automatic
- 3-speed A998 automatic
- 3-speed A999 automatic
- 4-speed A833 manual (very rare option)
- Length 204.6 in
- Width 72.4 in
- Height 55.1 in
- Wheelbase 112.6 in
1977 Model Year Production All Diplomats were built at the St.Louis Assembly Plant
Base Medallion Coupe Sedan Coupe Sedan GH22 GH41 GP22 GP41 14023 9647 9215 4667 Total Built 12358 8109 9215 4667 Built for the U.S. Market 1665 1538 0 0 Built for Canada
- Collectible Automobile February 2003 pg.85-87 Feature the 1977-1979 as that month's "Cheap Wheels" pick
- Register to Edit
- It takes less than 5 minutes to request registration for editing, and we try to approve within 24 hours. Click the Register Link in the Top Bar.
- MoparWiki Help
- While editing Wikis may at first glance appear a little overwhelming, it really isn't. You will find this site's HELP (link found in the sidebar) to be very strong and easy to understand. The best way to start is with small edits and working on your user page -- and you will become a Pro in no time.