- Slant Six
The Slant six was a Mopar first ever ohv six cylinder motor, which began production in 1960. While most other American six cylinder engines had the block orientated with the cylinders north and south at a 90 degree arrangement, the Slant Six (aka the "Leaning Tower of Power") leaned the cylinders over 30 degrees on a slant to allow for the lower hoods in the new compact A-Body models, the Valiant (not originally a Plymouth when released in 1960, but it's own make) and the later (introduced in 1961) Dodge Lancer. It also replaced the aging Flathead Six used in the entry level Plymouths and Dodge's junior model Darts (still full size) retired after 1959.
Originally referred to as the "G" Engine, it came in two iterations - the low block "LG" and the raised block "RG". Both had a cylinder bore of 3.40", but the "LG" had a stroke of 3.125", while the "RG" had a 4.125" stroke. The CID of the "LG" was 170 and it developed 101 bhp at 4400 rpm, and the 1" taller (overall height) "RG" was 225 CID developing 140 bhp at 4000 rpm. Both engines were 8.2:1 compression.
In addition to offering a lower hood height, the Slant Six was able to have a long branch intake manifold for greater breathing capacity and better fuel economy, and it allowed for the water pump to be offset to the side (instead of in front) for a shorter engine.
While the standard manual transmission was a 3-speed, a special A-904 TorqueFlite automatic transmission with a 1-piece aluminum case and lighter internal components was developed for the Slant Six used in the Valiants and Lancers. They weighed about 100 less than the A-727 transmission. Read More